Do You Sea What I Sea...

I love a Carousel. I know that's typically a sentence you would expect to come from a child, but I have no shame in admitting that the wonder that is a Carousel is not lost on me. 

I've ridden on many a Merry-Go-Round in my life - most in places you would expect, like the Magic Kingdom, Adventureland or the Bronx Zoo. However, I have also circled around in locations that would definitely surprise you - including on a cruise ship (Allure of the Seas) and at an MLB baseball stadium (Comerica Park in Detroit).

Despite my widespread experiences, my all time favorite Carousel is actually right here in New York City. In Battery Park to be exact. Here you will find an attraction that is very unique in both design and movement. This is the home of the SeaGlass Carousel.


The SeaGlass Carousel is aquatic themed and beautiful in every way - from the fiberglass fish, to the light show that goes on as you ride. Even if you don't go on it, it's breathtaking to just watch it go round and round. This is the one Carousel I never minded waiting in line for. 

The cost to ride is very reasonable ($6 per person) and I've been on it twice in my life - once when it was darker outside and once during the day. The feel of each was very different, but both magical and enjoyable.

The first time I went, I convinced my friend Ben to go on it with me (I enticed him with the promise of drinks afterwards). One good thing I can say about Ben is that he never judges me for my crazy childish activity suggestions and would always indulge me - and I really appreciate that.

When we went, the line was extremely short and we got on within 10 minutes. Some of the fish don't move around and we were nervous at first that we might have gotten stuck on one of those, but luckily we didn't. We got the full experience and had a great time.


 

I loved it so much that I talked Craig and our friends Billy and Jenna into driving downtown to ride it again after brunch a few months later. Billy had seen it featured on the show Younger and always wanted to check it out, so he was quick to agree. Craig will try just about anything at least once and is on board with all my suggestions, as long as they don't fall in the "thrill" category. Jenna was happy to hang out and come along for the ride, literally. 

We waited a little bit longer to get on the Carousel this time, but everyone walked off happy to have done it. 




 

Don't get me wrong - this is not necessarily something I would say you should go completely out of your way for. But I do believe everyone should experience it at least once in their life. It is something that can quickly, easily and cheaply be added to a day in the city or another adventure itinerary. Just writing this makes me want to jump on it again!

Comments

Popular Posts