Rounding the Bases (MLB Stadium Rankings)

When it comes to baseball, I have always enjoyed getting out of the house and going to a game. My mother used to take my siblings and I all the time when we were younger to both Yankee and Shea Stadium. Whether it was sitting in the bleachers with a bucket of KFC chicken or scoring field-level tickets with our Deer Park UPC/barcodes, we always had fun watching the Yankees and Mets play. 

In comparison, I never really liked watching a game on TV. I think it's because what I love most about baseball has always been the concessions and the fun little extras they have at the live games. A home run gets hit at Citifield and you can see the apple rise in the outfield. Want a delicious cheesesteak? Go no further than Yankee Stadium. For me the love of the game is really the love of the stadiums and the stadium food!

Craig, on the other hand, enjoys everything about baseball. He can tell you the players, the managers and all sorts of crazy stats. The Mets have always been his favorite team and, as such, he's always been a Yankee hater. In fact, the only way I can convince him to go to a Yankee game is if I promise to allow him to root against them.  

When we first started traveling together, we always tried to get tickets to an MLB game in whatever city we were visiting. It was a win for both of us - Craig got to watch the games and I got to try a new and exciting concession - or three. One day when we were reminiscing about a recent trip, we realized we unknowingly had made it to 1/3 of the MLB stadiums. That's the moment our dream to hit all the major league baseball stadiums was born and set in motion.

On the surface, this may seem like a post that's all about baseball stadiums and food. And don't get me wrong, it absolutely is. However, this entry is probably one of the most meaningful topics I am going to write about on this blog.

Craig and I have made an amazing life together, filled with traveling, eating and fun experiences. Our journey to visit all 30 stadiums, and the fact that we hit that goal, is an illustration of our commitment to each other and living the life we want. Along the way we've seen amazing cities, tasted unique concessions, collected a mini-bat for every MLB team and, of course, watched a lot of baseball. 

When I go down in the basement and see our mini-bat display, I am proud of what we've accomplished. I also wonder what the heck we are going to do with all our time now...just kidding!

Now that the MLB baseball stadium circuit is complete, you can find my official rankings below. There was no specific criteria used to establish the list - I went based on my overall experience at the stadium including food, extra activities, interesting and historic features, views, overall feel and the area outside the stadium as well. Basically the order I’d want to go back to them. I have included a handful of notes and pictures on each stadium as well, just to give you a quick overview and sense of each one. Craig and I definitely disagreed on where some of these should fall, but obviously he's wrong (also kidding!). 


#1 - Camden Yards: Baltimore Orioles

I definitely have a soft spot for Camden Yards. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but there is just something about it that has always kept it in the top spot for me. It might be because it was one of the first stadiums I went to that really felt completely different. I absolutely loved the bricks. The colors and the old-fashioned feel just stood out and was so unique. Overall it was just a great atmosphere - walking around inside and outside of the stadium. It also helps that the stadium is a short walk from the harbor. 

 



 

#2 - PNC Park: Pittsburgh Pirates

PNC Park is a very very close second, and actually Craig's overall favorite stadium. The views here are breathtaking - you can see the city, the river and all the steel bridges right from your seat. The atmosphere here is definitely the star of the show. I was excited for the food, but the Pierogi hero we had was actually a bit disappointing. This is partially why it didn't take over Camden Yards' #1 ranking.



 

#3 - Busch Stadium: St. Louis Cardinals

Busch Stadium earned its top three position because of the views and the areas surrounding the stadium. You can see the iconic Gateway Arch from your seat. Across from the stadium is a big "hall" of restaurants and bars where fans can hang out for a few drinks, food and some trivia (at least while we were there). The hotel we were staying at also had a rooftop bar with views of the stadium, which was also a nice perk. The food was decent, but nothing exactly memorable.

 


 

#4 - Truist Park: Atlanta Braves

For me, the highlight of this park was the area it was located in. It is set right in the middle of The Battery Atlanta, which is an area of restaurants, bars and shops. Before the game, they allow you to drink on the street in The Battery and a lot of the bars have to-go stands set up for the occasion. They also have a big park/grass area set up with a stage for music and TVs to watch the game. Honestly, if I went back I wouldn't even go into the stadium - I would just hang out in the area around it and enjoy it that way. Don't get me wrong, the stadium is definitely nice as well and we got delicious frozen drinks while there. The only downside is that the team is so popular that the stadium was packed and we could only get standing room tickets (which were still incredibly pricey!)


 

#5 - Citi Field: New York Mets

I am definitely partial to Citi Field since it's the home of the Mets and the stadium we've been to the most. That being said, I think it would deserve a top five spot on anyone's list. I love the outfield concessions area, the Shea Bridge and the feel of the main stadium entrance. And of course, who wouldn't enjoy the iconic Apple that rises whenever the Mets hit a homerun. 

I have had some delicious food here - although some of my favorites are no longer offered. During it's first few years the stadium was open, the Keith Hernandez burger was so good that I had to get it every time we went to a game. In its final years, the quality definitely went downhill and I wasn't exactly sad to see it go. One year they had a raclette stand with bratwursts topped with melted cheese. I waited almost 45 minutes for it and it did not disappoint. This past season they opened a Utopia Bagel food truck, which offered a selection of bagel sandwiches that were also very good - Utopia Bagels are amazing if you've never tried them. 

They have a great selection of beers, ciders and seltzers and some cocktail stands for those who would prefer hard alcohol. They also opened a brewery right outside the stadium (Ebbs now), which is a nice place to grab a drink before the game starts. 





#6 - T-Mobile Park: Seattle Mariners

When I bought the tickets for this stadium, I made sure to research which section would give us a view of the skyline and space needle. And since we went to a night game, we got to see the sunset as well which was an added bonus.

They had a very nice area in the outfield by the bullpen where you could go and hang out for free during the game. While there, you could be few feet away for the pitchers while they warmed up or you could partake in some of the interactive activities that T-Mobile offered. Specifically, you could try your hand at pitching and batting electronically, or put your heads on a virtual Seattle Mariners bobblehead. 

T-Mobile Park's most famous concession is their toasted grasshoppers. Craig was brave enough to taste them, but I couldn't bring myself to go near them. He only ate a few for the novelty of it -though  they were definitely not his favorite. In general, the food selections were not that great here in my opinion, but the overall experience and atmosphere made up for it.

 




#7 - Comerica Park: Detroit Tigers

Comerica Park had some of the best "extras", which pushed it into the top 10. Want to ride a Carousel or a baseball themed Ferris Wheel during the game? You can do that here. Craig and I were actually on the Carousel when our friend called us for a baby-gender reveal, which was definitely a memorable experience. 

We were driving to another city after the game, so we didn't get a chance to hit up the beer tavern unfortunately. It definitely looked like it had tons of interesting drink options though. On the plus side, we did get to eat some really delicious Chicken Shawarma.

 






#8 - Chase Field: Arizona Diamondbacks

Chase Field had the absolute best stadium food that I have ever eaten, specifically their specialty 18-inch hot dog. This wasn't just any hot dog though - it was topped with hash browns, gravy, cheddar cheese, bacon and fried eggs. It was one of the best things I have ever eaten and I would take the trip back out there just for another one of those. 

The stadium also has a retractable roof, which was a fun addition. At the start of our game, the roof was closed but during the game when it got cooler and dark out, they opened it up. It was great to experience the game both ways (and to watch it retract). They also put on a nice firework show at the end of the game, which we happened to watch from the car because we had to make a flight and wanted to beat the crowd out. Craig was a little disappointed with the in-stadium pool area; they always show it on TV, but the area itself is much smaller than he thought it would be.



#9 - Petco Park: San Diego Padres

San Diego is one of my favorite cities in the US, so it's not surprising for them to have a great stadium as well. Obviously, the perfect weather here just adds to the overall experience of attending a game at Petco Park. When we went, it was during a trip with my mom and our friend Jenna many years ago, so some of the details are a little fuzzy (like what we ate!). But we all had a great time and I still have my San Diego Padres T-Shirt to prove it.

Petco Park is also built into an existing warehouse (Western Metal Supply Co.) and that made for a unique addition to the stadium, especially with how they added decks and seats into the facade of the building. Interesting fact, the corner of the building actually serves as the left field foul pole. They also have a nice park area (Gallagher Square) in the outfield where you can picnic and hang out while watching the game (game tickets required). The stadium is located in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego, a really fun area with lots of bars and restaurants. 





 

#10 - Coors Field: Colorado Rockies

One of the overall best experience I've had at at a game might have been at Coors Field in Denver. We went to this game with our friends Jon, Matt, Alanna and Craig's brother Tyler and just had a bunch of drinks and food and hung out. The drink options were great and there was something for everyone. We were slightly too drunk to remember what we ate though - although whatever it was definitely hit the spot. Craig thinks it was a steak burrito bowl and I think it might have been a cheesesteak of some sort. Who knows, it could have been both.

The stadium offers a great view of the Rocky Mountains, which made for a perfect backdrop while the sun set. And Craig was super excited to get a CR hat, since that's also his initials. We also got a purple mini-bat for the collection, which was a great and unique addition. I love the ones that stand out!



 

#11 - Fenway Park: Boston Red Sox

I have a soft spot for Boston because I spent 4 years of my life living there while I attended college at Northeastern University. It is one of my absolute favorite US cities, outside of San Diego and New York. It's not a cheap place to live or visit, but it's a very clean city with very loyal sports fans. Whenever I go to see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, I make sure not to mention that I'm from New York.  

Fenway Park is definitely one of the stadiums that earns its ranking based on its history and its old school / classic charm. It's actually higher on Craig's list for those exact reasons. The Green Monster is iconic and a must see. The overall layout, seating and views leave something to be desired though. It felt like there were a lot more obstructed seats here then any other stadium I've been too. 

What I love most about the stadium is that it's located right smack in the middle of the city. It's actually crazy because despite being so big, the stadium kind of just sneaks up on you. One minute you're walking down a city block, the next the stadium is staring you in the face. There are tons of bars and restaurants around it for you to enjoy food and drinks before the game. They also close off some of the streets as they fill with fans hanging out and making their way into the game.

The last time we visited Boston we also stumbled upon a bar that has an open gate with sight lines onto the field. Watching the game from there doesn't require tickets, but I am sure you need to get there early to snag a spot for a game. When we went it happened to be a non-game day, which was still a fun experience - especially since there was a couple getting married on the field while we were there.




#12 - Wrigley Field: Chicago Cubs

This is another historic field and it definitely has that classic old school charm as well. This one is known primarily for the Ivy that adorns the walls along the outfield. However, this is not a stadium for food, as the concessions options were very limited and not overly exciting. What I love most about the stadium is actually what's outside of it - Wrigleyville and the Wrigley Rooftops. 

Wrigleyville is the name for the area of bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the stadium in Chicago. The feel in being in the area before a game is exhilarating and maybe even a little overwhelming, in the very best way. It's such a fun atmosphere and has many delicious food and drink options that more than make up for the subpar stadium choices. 

Wrigley Rooftops is the name given to the seats /bleachers that were built on top of adjacent buildings. They are separate tickets that do not provide access to the stadium, but give you a great view of the game. It's Chicago's way of building the city into the field and I am all for it.

 




 

#13 - Progressive Field: Cleveland Indians (Now known as the Cleveland Guardians)

The highlight of Progressive Field was definitely the food choices and the thoughtful way they laid out the concessions stands within the stadium. The food areas felt more connected to the rest of the stadium than in other cities, which made me feel less guilty about spending so much time on line. Progressive Field felt to me like it was catering to those of us who enjoy food just as much as we like baseball. It helped that everything we ate was delicious. They also put on a very nice firework show at the end of the night.




#14 - Citizens Bank Park: Philadelphia Phillies

This stadium reminded us a lot of Citi Field, but not quite as good - which is why its lower on the rankings. The outfield area was not as developed, but it still had an overall nice stadium field. We couldn't pass up getting Tony Luke's famous cheesesteaks and they were pretty tasty. It was not my favorite cheesesteak in Philly, but definitely a solid choice. Although interesting fact to note, my favorite cheesesteak of all time is actually in Brooklyn at Fedoroff's.

 



 #15 - Formerly AT&T Park: San Francisco Giants (Now known as Oracle Park)

We got very unlucky with the weather at this game and it was delayed for a few hours until the rain cleared up. It was a night game during NFL season though, so we were able to watch the football games while we waited. The covered areas were extremely crowded though, with everyone trying to stay dry. 

Overall I liked the feel of the stadium though - bricks and the palm trees at the entrance created a nice ambiance. They had tons of food choices behind center field, but I think it was by far the most expensive stadium I have ever been to for concessions (especially the beer!).

Since the game started so late, we didn't make it through the entire thing and ended up leaving about half way through. Before we went home though, we were able to see the Giants hit an infamous "splash hit", which is when they hit a home run into the bay right outside the outfield wall.

 

#16 - Target Field: Minnesota Twins

This was the last stadium on our MLB tour and it did not go as smoothly as I hoped. The night we had tickets, it was raining and the game was delayed for multiple hours. I was actually nervous they would cancel it all together and we wouldn't really be able to count it and complete the circuit. It definitely put me in a bad mood and I refused to order any concessions until I knew for sure the game would go on (sorry Craig!)

That being said, once we got word that the game would be played, we had a nice experience. The food was absolutely delicious - especially the bratwurst filled with cheese and the mini burger sliders we had. They had a cute mini-golf course set up in the outfield, spelling out the word Twins. It was definitely meant for children but Craig and I didn't care and we played anyway.

They also had a bar on one of the higher levels where you could watch the game. We walked through and it had a nice layout but it was very crowded because of the rain. 

Inside one of the walkways they had an area where you could walk through and see photos of all the MLB stadiums, which was very fitting considering it was our last stop. Craig thoroughly enjoyed looking back on all of them.

As for the outside, I didn't love the design of the stadium - it reminded me of bathroom tile. It was also set off in an area by itself in the city, so there was no real game day feel as you walked in.



#17 - Great American Ball Park: Cincinnati Reds

I didn't expect to like this stadium, but something about the old-fashioned, American theme really struck a cord with me. It was just so different and unique and I loved it for those reasons. It might have also helped that we had suite tickets that included all you can eat food. We all know by now how much I love my food. Despite having the suite, we still made sure to walk around the whole stadium to get the full experience. There were not any unique features or "must have" food vendors that jumped out at us.



#18 - Minute Maid Park: Houston Astros

Minute Maid Park was the first stadium we went to where they had closed the roof during the game.It does have a retractable roof, but it was raining that night. I was happy at first because it was a new experience for me and provided me with a different game watching atmosphere. However, in the end it almost didn't really feel like I was at a baseball game at all. I definitely prefer open-air stadiums.

As for food, Houston actually had the second best stadium concession out of all the MLB parks - coming close to the 18 inch hot dog in Arizona. Specifically, we had a waffle cone that was filled with mashed potatoes and pieces of fried chicken cutlets, then drizzled with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I could probably eat 3 or 4 of those cones in one sitting, they were that delicious. 

 #19 - Yankee Stadium: New York Yankees

As a native New Yorker, I am disappointed to say that I find Yankee Stadium to be severely lacking and a bit of a let down. When they built the new stadium, I was hopeful that they would create something with a much better feel and that they would make it more fun for fans. However, to me the new stadium reminds me exactly of the old stadium and, in that sense, was a total waste of money. 

The overall feel of the stadium is just a bit cold to me, especially when compared to Citi Field. I am not saying that because I am a Mets fan, because I have always liked the Yankees and enjoyed going to their games as well. It's just not an appealing stadium to me.

That being said, some of the things that I do like about the stadium include how easy it is to take public transportation there and the foods options they have. They used to have an amazing cheesesteak (one of my favorites), but sadly that vendor was replaced with a new one that serves less tasty options. Craig also appreciated, but was extremely jealous of, the history they had in the museum at the stadium. I will admit the appeal of that was lost on me. I will say the fans are always really into the game and have a great energy about them, which I do always love about going to see the Yankees play.

 

#20 - Nationals Park: Washington Nationals

Our friend Billy joined us on a weekend trip to Washington D.C. and came with us to check out Nationals Park. Whenever we go to a baseball game together, Craig always jokes that Billy and I talk more to each other and don't even pay attention to the game. He likes to randomly ask us the score to make sure that we are at least slightly involved in the action. 

That being said, Billy definitely goes to game for the food and drinks first, just like me. And at Nationals Park we got some very delicious drinks - frozen strawberry daiquiris by the yard! Plus him and Craig also got a few good beers. I don't quite remember the food but I blame that on all the drinks.

We were able to take the train straight to the stadium, which was very convenient and a nice perk, and we had very nice weather which added to our experience. Overall the stadium itself reminded me of a slightly worse Citi Field and Citizens Bank Park. It felt like it was trying to model itself after them but couldn't quite replicate the feel. They had a bigger outfield area, but alas no fun bridge to cross like Citi.

 

#21 - Tropicana Field: Tampa Bay Rays

From the outside, Tropicana Field is very unassuming. I know it's meant to protect fans from the heat and rain that is constant in the area, but it does not scream baseball stadium to me. From the inside, I absolutely loved the unique and funky slanted roof that they had set up. It gave the stadium character and differentiated it for all the other MLB venues we had been to. It was great to see the dome light up whenever a player hit a home run; I felt like it was a great little "extra" to keep fans entertained.

The rays touch experience seems like it would be a cute feature, but it was not open when we were at the game.  


 

#22 - Guaranteed Rate Field: Chicago White Sox

Out of the two stadiums in Chicago, this one definitely has the worse location. We actually took the train to visit Guaranteed Rate Field the first time we were visiting the city, even though there wasn't a game going on. That was definitely not the best decision - none of us felt safe the entire time we were traveling there or walking around.

The second time we went, it was to actually go to a game. We couldn't count just seeing the outside as visiting and wouldn't cross it off the list until we saw the White Sox play there. We went to a weeknight game and they had sold very few tickets, so they upgraded our seats (and everyone else's) at the door. They gave us field level tickets and these were probably the best seats we had for any of the non-New York stadiums. I am notorious for buying the cheapest tickets just to get inside a stadium and I am pretty sure we had the absolute top row for the Texas Ranger game.

The stadium was nice, but not exactly anything special. It was easy to get to and felt much safer when going with other fans for a game. They had some statues and team history in the center field area, which was nice to look at. The closer seats definitely added something to the experience.



#23 - Formerly Miller Park: Milwaukee Brewers (Now know as American Family Field)

We were lucky this stadium had a dome because it was pouring rain when we went to visit Milwaukee as part of our baseball road trip. We even got to see their mascot Bernie Brewer go down the slide in the outfield when they hit a home run during our game. 

That being said, the stadium didn't have much more to offer. We were disappointed in the food options and you couldn't see the game or field while walking around.  




 

#24 - Kauffman Stadium: Kansas City Royals

The highlight of this stadium was the fountain they had in the outfield and the $1 hot dogs they offered during the game. The lowlight of this stadium was that it was in the middle of nowhere and the $1 hot dogs they offered during the game. 

Although I love a good deal, the $1 hot dogs were slightly off-colored and room temperature at best. We went with our friend Matt and he took one bite of his before throwing it in the garbage. We didn't decide on getting hot dogs because they were such a great deal; we got them by default because none of the other concession options peaked our interest.

As for the location of the stadium, we struggled getting their without a car. On our way to the game, our Uber driver let us out on a main street before even getting to the first parking lot of the stadium. After the game, we had multiple ride-share drivers cancel on us and then the one who finally accepted the ride got lost finding the designated pick-up area.




#25 - Angel Stadium of Anaheim: Los Angeles Angels

I actually had to look up photos of Angel stadium before writing this entry, because it was that forgettable to me. The one thing I do remember is that there was a nice brewery a few blocks away where we got drinks before the game. 

The big Angel hats at the entrance made for a good photo. The fountain and the rock formation in the outfield left something to be desired. There is a picnic area behind the rocks, but you can't really view the game if you are sitting there eating.

 


#26 - loanDepot Park: Miami Marlins

My biggest complaint about this stadium is the fact that they still charged you all the online fees to buy tickets at the stadium's box office. I have NEVER heard of this being the case before, especially for a team that struggles to sell tickets. Nevertheless they insisted that they had to sign into the same online system to purchase tickets and that there would be no savings or benefit buying them in person. What actually angered me even more was that they also raised the prices of the tickets the day of the game, so not only did I still have to pay the extra fees, but I also had to shell out more money for the same seats.  

Another reason it is towards the bottom of the list is because it doesn't feel at all like a baseball stadium. In fact, from the outside it felt more like walking by a modern space ship. Although I will say that having a dome was nice because it saved us from the sun and the heat, which can get bad in Miami. 

The food was decent, but very overpriced for what you got. We went to a restaurant in the outfield to experience watching the game from there and that was something fun and different. However, they required a spending minimum to sit at the tables closest to the field so we were stuck in the back. It also had more of a "dance club" field then anything else. 

We were also disappointed because we thought we could get a turquoise blue mini-bat for our collection, but they did not sell any in blue even though it's their team color.

 




#27 - Dodgers Stadium: Los Angeles Dodgers

We might have ranked this stadium higher on the list if we had a better experience at the game. When we went, it happened to be for a game where the Dodgers were trying to clinch the playoffs and they had their best pitcher starting (Clayton Kershaw). As a result, the game was sold out and the stadium was packed. When we went to walk down to the first level to check out the concessions, the security guard actually stopped us and said we weren't allowed to walk around or visit the other levels of the stadium because of the crowds. This limited how much of the stadium we actually got to see and the food options we were able to try. It was definitely an exciting game, but I needed those extras to really make the stadium visit worth while.  The views were nice, but it was a trek to get there. It felt dated and reminded Craig a lot of Shea Stadium, which was replaced nearly a decade earlier by Citi Field.

#28 - Rogers Centre: Toronto Blue Jays

My sister lives right outside of Toronto with her husband, so we turned a trip to the game into a family affair. Overall, we were not very impressed with the stadium though - it had a lot of concrete with just a very stiff feel. We try and see the entire stadium when we are at a game and while at Rogers Centre, we found that you couldn't really watch what was going on while walking around. The coolest part of the stadium was the view of the CN tower from our seats. We were lucky to be at a game where the retractable roof was open, at least partially. As for food, we got a helmet full of tater tot "nachos" that were pretty delicious.




#29 - Formerly Globe Life Park: Texas Rangers (Now known as Globe Life Field)

This is the only stadium on the list that no longer hosts an MLB team and I can understand why they built them a new one. There was nothing really wrong with the stadium, but at the same time there was also nothing very special about it. The most interesting thing it had going for it was that it was located near an amusement park (Six Flags Over Texas). They did have some good BBQ options at the stadium that we could not pass up.

 



#30 - Oakland Coliseum: Oakland A's 

There really is not much that has to be said about this stadium. There really isn't anything memorable about it - it's old, boring and has a cold and industrial feel. It's not in a great area and the concessions offered were basic and limited. I didn't like the fact that it was shared, at that time, with a football team and that part of the stadium was sectioned and closed off. Anyone could tell it wasn't designed specifically to enjoy a baseball game. It's last for a reason. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts